Monday, August 17, 2009

Waiting

Here it is, August 17. My little girl is officially 18 months old today. The time has flown by, as many of you have already experienced with your own children. We'd like to keep them little forever (sometimes), but time just doesn't stop when you want it to.

But what about when it stops when you DON'T want it to? I'm talking about waiting. At this juncture in my life, I'm doing a lot of waiting. Waiting to hear back about several job interviews. Waiting to hear back about my Today's Christian Woman article. Just WAITING.

How have I passed the time? I've been productive in my rewrite of Blessed. I've visited with family here in Mississippi and in New York. I've written character therapy assessments and Thoughts and I've even started on some other articles to submit to magazines when the time comes.

But in between these periods of prolific editing and worthwhile visiting, I still check my email probably 100X a day, hoping to hear something about SOMEthing, which is a frustrating place to be.

Q4U: How do you pass the time waiting?

Wordle: signature

12 comments:

Liana Brooks said...

I don't have free time really, just time I'm dithering to avoid making hard decisions, or doing chores I really dislike. I'm not sure I can recommend it.

But, I have a present for you on my blog. :o)
http://lianabrooks.blogspot.com/

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

I try to keep busy doing more writing but if that shouldn't work then I'm cleaning out drawers, reorganizing the dog's toy box, picking lint off the couch cushions or visiting a hundred and one blogs!! LOL!

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Like you, I just keep busy with honing the craft and dreaming up new stories. The greatest things happen during the waiting game I believe. It's just we don't realize it until the waiting is over.

Stephanie Faris said...

Ugh. I check my e-mail a LOT, like you. But I've found the best thing to do is start the next manuscript and get it out there...then you're waiting on two. Then you do another one and it's three...

Jody Hedlund said...

Waiting is the pits! I imagine we'll always have some kind of waiting or another. I'm realizing if it's not hearing from an agent, then it's waiting to hear from an editor. I'm trying too, like you, to get a few other projects done that I wouldn't normally have time for. And trying to enjoy the lull!

Katie Ganshert said...

No answer for the waiting! It's NO fun!

Danyelle L. said...

*grin*

We have a lot in common. There's so much to do, and yet it's still hard to wait. >.< My computer's almost to the point that it can check my email for me.

*patience cookies*

Tana said...

I'm waiting right now too. Such an odd business isn't it? Everyone else is in such a hurry to move a product but not the publishing biz. I hope the model changes soon...

Tabitha Bird said...

I am not good with the waiting. Over the years I have learnt to be more paitent, but I am still not a wonderful 'waiter.'

I hope you hear good news on the things you are waiting for.

Stephanie said...

I throw myself into my next project....but like you, I just can't stop myself from checking my inbox 80 million times a day. Playing on Facebook, Twitter, reading Blogs, visiting message boards...that helps pass the time too!

Keli Gwyn said...

I do my best to not even think about what's "out there" and keep busy taking the next steps on my journey, which at present is working on a rewrite. When good news comes, as it did with a contest final recently, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Jill Kemerer said...

It's hard. I just pretend I'm not waiting and stick to my routine. After years of waiting, it's gotten easier!